top of page
  • Writer's pictureCarryOn Travel News

Dark and Beautiful - The Magic of Acai

Updated: Apr 11, 2022

The South American Super Food that is taking social media by storm

By: Gabriella DiPaolo

One of the most delicious members of the super-food group — also known as the healthy power packed items in the food guide — is a fruit you've probably seen all over your Instagram feed. Açaí (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) is best known for being the star ingredient in social media worthy smoothie bowls, but there's more to these berries than just their good looks.

Found on açaí palm trees in South American rainforests, açaí berries are a lot like grapes. The seed takes up about 80% of the berry, but the flesh and skin are brimming with vitamins and other nutrients in the remaining 20%. Not to mention the berries are only about 70 calories a cup.

  1. Antioxidants: Like other berries, açaí are packed with antioxidants that can help build up your immune system and protect your cells against damage from free radicals.

  2. Fiber: Full of fiber, açaí berries not only help make your trips to the bathroom more regular, but also help keep you full and your blood sugar steady.

  3. Heart-Healthy Fats: It might seem like a diet rich in fish, nuts, and avocados is the only way to get enough omega-3 fatty acids, but açaí berries are also a great source. Eating lots of these heart-healthy fats can lower your risk of coronary heart disease and improve your cholesterol.

  4. Calcium: High in calcium, açaí berries will help keep your bones, heart, muscles, and nerves strong and healthy.

For health advocates and adventurers alike you can see this super food in its natural habitat. The species is native to Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, Guyana, French Guiana, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago, mainly in swamps and floodplains. Some countries are cashing in on the food's popularity and even launched

tours to see and harvest wild Acai berries.


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page